Saturday, May 9, 2009

For the last couple of weeks, a mommy bird has been building a nest on a shelf in our backyard. A few days ago we noticed three little blueish eggs.


SInce the kids spent the night at MomMa and Pa’s house, I went to the back porch this morning to enjoy some quiet time with God. As I went out the door, the mommy bird flew away, leaving the nest unguarded...or did she? As I sat down I noticed the bird had come back and was perched not far away on the swing set. She was watching. I sat as still as I could, but she would not return to the nest. I wish she knew that I was good with her having a nest in my back yard and that she didn’t have to be afraid. After a few moments, she flew back to her nest and settled in with the blue eggs.


I don’t know a lot about birds. And I am just guessing that the bird on the nest was the mommy. What I do know is that those little birds developing in those eggs are being well cared for even though they don’t realize it. Even birds have an instinct from our Creator to care for and protect the little ones. Even the unborn ones.


Thank you to the many mom’s who have influenced my life over the years. My paternal grandmother was the true matriarch of our faith on the Page side. My maternal grandmother is still going at 97 years old. Every time I see her she tells me how proud she is of me and that nothing is more important than God and my family. My mom, Christine, is an amazing, Godly woman of prayer. She loved and cared for me even through those challenging years. I am still a challenge at times.


My wife has a similar heritage. Her paternal grandmother is the most kind and gentle person you can ever meet. Her maternal grandmother is in Heaven today, but she was a woman of deep love and commitment to her family. She loved to give. Kristi’s mom, Ragina, loves and encourages me as her own child. Then, of course, there’s the mommy of my children, Kristi. She is beautiful inside and out. She has a deep faith in Christ and is willing to go and do whatever God says regardless of what others might say. She is a blessing to me and my little ones.


To all these mom’s in my life: Thank you. Thank you for being “you” and loving me just because I’m “me”. Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment