Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I just witnessed the "hand off". I had a different blog written for this week, but the "hand off" changed my course.

So I'm sitting at my favorite coffee shop this morning having a quiet time when a couple shows up with a preteen girl. They literally sat down right next to me. The girl in one chair and the step mom sitting in dad's lap in another chair. I could not help but hear their conversation. I quickly realized that I am right in the middle of the "hand off" zone.

I have seen the "hand off" from a distance, but never up close. Apparently the step dad is coming at 8:30 to pick her up. The couple is glad that the mom is not coming. While waiting for the step dad to arrive, the conversation was pleasant. I could not help but wonder what happened to this family? I have a good guess based on the things I saw and heard, but I'll leave that alone. I couldn't help but wonder how this innocent little girl was feeling. How her young little world had been rocked by someone else's decision.

Finally, the step dad shows up, obviously late. I could sense the tension in the room. Oh, there were pleasant smiles and hand shakes. Nervous laughter and the such. But the little girl? She was visibly uncomfortable. It was time for the "hand off".

She had to wait while the step dad and "real" dad had a conversation. Apparently, the step dad invited them to the Easter service at their church. They won't make it. I'd bet on it. Even though he didn't come right out and say it, it was clear to me that this little girl will not have mom and dad (and others) together at Easter services.

I have no idea if this was the little girl's first "hand off" or if this was one of many over the years. Whichever, it appears to not be getting any easier for her.

Here is the simple point. I am thankful that my mom and dad hung in there. They have been married now for over 50 years. They didn't give up even though they had tough times. How could you not have tough times with five children at home? They held on to their covenant with each other and their God. They simply would not quit. And because of that, I never had to experience the "hand off".

So, mom and dad, thank you. Thank you for not giving up. Thank you for celebrating the good times and enduring the tough times. Thank you that I never had to experience the "hand off".

Lord, I pray for the "hand off" kids and especially the little girl I saw today. May they know your love and commitment to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment