Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On the way to taking my daughter to school we were talking about our plans for Family Fun Night that evening. I asked her to think about what she would like to do and we would talk about it after school.


I was hoping to go to Swirls, a really cool frozen yogurt place. We've gone there before and we all loved it. At Swirls, you get a cup, choose from about a dozen yogurt flavors, then select from over 50 toppings. Everything from fresh fruit to Captain Crunch cereal can be added to your creation. You are charged “by weight” so keep piling it on as long as you are willing to pay for it. For all the first time customers, they give you two small “sampling” cups so you can decide on your yogurt flavor. On return visits, you are on your own to decide. No sample cups.


Before arriving at the school I asked if she would like to go to that frozen yogurt place where you add your own toppings. She thought about it and asked with the innocence of a kindergartner if we could tell them it was our first time so we could get those little cups. TEACHING MOMENT. I said, “Madison, we have been there before so saying that would be dishonest. And we know that God says we should always tell the truth”. She just shook her head like, “OK, dad”.


What's the big deal? I mean, what would be the harm? Those little cups with only a dab of frozen yogurt can’t cost them more than two cents! It IS a big deal, because I want my daughtert to know that God desires honesty even in the little things.


By the way, we did go to Swirls and they did ask if it was our first time. We said, "No". But then I asked if we could have sample cups for the kids. "Of course".


It felt so good to be honest AND get sample cups, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment