Wednesday, January 21, 2009


So I drove to my old neighborhood yesterday. I grew up on the north side of Houston. The streets seemed a little larger when I was eight. Anyway, I drove through the old 'hood and recalled many fun memories. So and so lived there. Wow, they built houses in the "pasture" we used to play in. This is so different than I remembered. I went to the church where I grew up, Bauman Road Baptist Church. I saw the pastor there so I asked if I could walk around. He walked along with me as I told him of many cool things that had happened in this church. I led him to a room behind the sanctuary. It was the "old ladies" Bible study class room. As I entered I saw the little closet where my friend Jerry and I would hide our "treasures" so that we could buy candy to eat during church. I also recalled the faces of those dear old ladies who loved me and put up with my high energy level (that's saying it nicely). Thinking about these things put a smile in my spirit.

As I stood in that "old ladies" classroom, Adam, the pastor, stood with me and listened patiently to my stories. Then I told him the real reason I wanted to enter that room. For THIS is the place God spoke to me. In this very room, He called me to give over my life and my future to Him. I remember looking out the stained glass window with the sun shining through when I heard God's voice. You can interpret that however you want to. I was already a believer, but in this room, all alone, just me and God, He wrapped His Spirit around me called me to follow Him. I didn't argue. I simply thought when a person chooses to follow Christ that means you do whatever He asks. I didn't "fight" it. I wanted to serve the One who loved me and forgave me of ALL my sins!

As I told the story to my new pastor friend, He smiled and said, "this church building holds a lot of memories for a lot of people". I couldn't agree more.

Someone told me that blogs don't have to make a point, so this blog is one of those "pointless blogs", except to say...God has spoken in times past and is still speaking. I want to be a better listener. Shhhhhhh! Ok, God. I'm listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment